You are here
Home > Featured > Michael Dixon Jr. is leaving Missouri

Michael Dixon Jr. is leaving Missouri

Michael Dixon Jr. is transferring from the University of Missouri

The ongoing saga involving Missouri senior guard Michael Dixon Jr. ended last night. Dixon officially announced that he is transferring from the university to finish his career elsewhere. The news comes after a second allegation from a second woman claiming that the Tigers’ guard sexually assaulted her in 2010.

Dixon was suspended indefinitely just before the Tigers’ first exhibition game against Northwest Missouri State on Oct. 29 for what Head Coach Frank Haith called, “a violation of team rules.” As the weeks went on, so did the suspension. It wasn’t until earlier this week that the general public became aware that the suspension stemmed from Aug. 20 rape allegations from a woman who decided not to press charges. Since his suspension, Dixon has been very vocal on Twitter, even claiming, “I’VE DONE NOTHING WRONG!”

After a second report surfaced Thursday night that said a woman involved in the Mizzou Athletic Department was sexually assaulted by Dixon in Jan. 2010, Dixon officially called it quits. Dixon sent text messages to a friend Thursday saying, “Yea I’m done here bro I’m not gonna be here anymore another girl my freshman year pulled this … on me now it’s coming out and everyone is gonna think it’s real so I’m thru bro I appreciate you tho just let as many (people) as u can know.”

The friend sent the messages to the Columbia Missourian and asked for their name to remain anonymous. Dixon took it upon himself to make the transfer official Thursday night.

“It’s been a challenging few months and while I appreciate the support of many in the Mizzou community including my coaches and teammates,” said Dixon. “It’s in the best interest of me, my family and the University of Missouri to finish my career elsewhere.”

The case which was uncovered Thursday night in a report by Terez Paylor, the Mizzou beat writer for the Kansas City Star, said that the woman involved in the Mizzou Athletic Department was assaulted by Dixon at her appartment on Jan. 9, 2010. While an initial police report was filed two days later, the woman decided not to press charges because Dixon was a basketball player and “she was afraid of what might happen.”

The woman made then Head Coach Mike Anderson aware of the situation, with Anderson telling her he would support her if she decided to press charges. Since then, Anderson has left the University to return to the place he once won a National Championship as an Assistant Coach, becoming the Head Coach for the University of Arkansas. After Anderson’s departure, Haith inherited the team and led them to a 30-5 year in his first season at Missouri. While Haith’s initial reasoning for Dixon’s suspension was a “violation of team rules,” it has now become more clear why the guard from Lee’s Summit, Mo. was suspended.

Although the charges were dropped or not pressed altogether in both cases, Dixon’s decison to transfer makes for serious believing that the 2012 Big XII Sixth Man of the Year is a little more guilty than he claims to be.

Regardless of the validity of the stories told by the two women or the Tigers’ guard, Dixon is no longer a member of the Missouri basketball team.